Digital marketing facts and trends
It’s the time of year when look back at the year to review where we are, what we learned, and how it influences our actions for the coming year. If your business relies on digital marketing, to help in decision making, here are the top digital marketing facts of 2022 and the key takeaways for 2023.
#1: Search remains the #1 way people find you on the internet
- 68% of all interactions begin with a search engine.
- 53% of all website traffic comes from organic searches.
- 71% of marketers say using strategic keywords was their number one strategy for SEO.
- Over 50% of marketers say keyword rankings and organic traffic are the top ways they measure the success of their SEO strategies.
- 46% of all Google searches are for a local product or service.
- 49% of businesses say that organic search brings them the best marketing ROI.
- SEO leads have nearly a 15% close rate.
#2: Content and consistency in posts creates the most search visibility and interest
- High-quality content creation is the most efficient SEO tactic by 72% of online marketers.
- Moreover, 56% who leverage blogging say it’s effective and 10% say it generates the biggest return on investment.
- As a result, businesses that blog get 55% more traffic to their websites.
- 48% of companies that have a content marketing strategy leverage blogging.
- There has been a 23% growth in the use of video for marketing purposes
- Video has increased revenues by 78%.
- That’s why 95% of video marketers claim that employing video has improved consumer knowledge of their goods or services.
- 45% of marketers are already using infographics while 38% plan to leverage it for the first time in 2022.
#3: Mobile device use increases every year at the expense of desktop
- Now, More than 50% of all online purchases are now completed using mobile devices.
- 70% of YouTube videos are watched from mobile devices.
- Today, the average number of people who open their emails via mobile devices is 49%.
- 92% of Facebook’s advertising revenue comes from mobile.
- Two-thirds of the budget Amazon spends on digital ads is mobile.
- 50%+ of people perform a Google search before they buy the product in a store, or send a text about it, or go directly to the website and buy the product.
#4: Paid ads are required by majority of companies for business success according to digital marketing facts
- 65% of small to mid-sized businesses have a PPC campaign.
- 74% of brands cite pay-per-click advertising as a primary business driver.
- Paid search represents about 39% of a business’s total marketing budget.
- Social media makes up 33% of all digital ad spending in 2022.
- 15% of the average business’s website traffic comes from paid search, while paid social traffic only makes up 5% of overall website traffic.
- Customers are 70% more likely to make a purchase from a retargeting ad.
- 58% of millennials report making a purchase based on an online ad.
#5: Customers are a business’s biggest influencers
- 86% of people will hesitate to purchase from a business that has negative online reviews.
- 76% of travelers said they would pay more for a hotel with a higher review score.
- 72% of consumers say that positive reviews make them more likely to trust a local business.
- People spend 50% more with businesses that regularly respond to reviews.
- 50 or more reviews can mean a 4.6% increase in conversion rates.
- 30 customers, on average, is what a single negative review costs a business.
#6. Revenue, leads, acquisition, attribution, and their measurement, are the top expectations
- 91% of marketers are “somewhat confident”’ or “very confident” that they’re investing in programs that influence revenue.
- Over 75% of marketers are reporting on how their campaigns are directly influencing revenue.
- 67% of companies use lead generation as the sole metric to determine content success.
- 61% of marketers say that generating traffic and leads is their number one challenge.
- 52% of businesses are using marketing attribution reporting.
- 49% of companies report that increasing customer acquisition is their primary objective.
Does this give you priorities and help your decision making for next year?