Ecommerce facts about this holiday indicate 2017 is going to be the greatest year ever for e-commerce gift giving and in some very important ways.
Because more than just the big numbers, ecommerce facts about this holiday season indicate more people now believe the benefits of shopping online are better than offline. They are proving it with their spending. And this is a trend likely to change holiday buying behaviors for many more years to come.
Here are 23 ecommerce facts about this holiday season.
- $107.4 billion is expected from ecommerce sales this holiday season (+14% vs year ago) (Forbes)
- $6.6 billion from Cyber Monday (+17% vs year ago) (Forbes)
- 3 hours on Cyber Monday (from 8 PM to 11 PM) account for more sales than the entire rest of the day (Forbes)
- For the 1st time, Cyber Monday sales are greater online than offline (Forbes)
- $5.0 billion from Black Friday (+16% vs year ago) (Forbes)
- 88% of people plan to spend money on Facebook marketing this season (Paradox Labs)
- 82% of people prefer delivery through shipping during the holiday (Ecommerce Nation)
- 81% of respondents reported free shipping as a primary motivator for doing more of their shopping online (Walker Sands)
- 80% of all transaction to occur from the 100 largest U.S. web retailers (Adobe)
- 78% of online shoppers want more images from ecommerce sites (Big Commerce)
- 75% for retailers in the probability of converting a desktop or laptop shopper during the holiday season (Deloitte)
- 66% of frequent online shoppers have used Amazon Prime in the past year (Walker Sands)
- 60% of all online sales are from Amazon this holiday season compared to 50% last year (Cuker)
- 59% of converting a smartphone shopper to purchaser for a retailer (Deloitte)
- 55% of ecommerce transactions on Thanksgiving and Black Friday were captured by Amazon (Bloomberg)
- 54% of visits to ecommerce sites from mobile this holiday (smartphone + tablets). This is the 1st holiday season where more ecommerce sales have come from mobile rather than desktop (Forbes)
- 51% of holiday budgets are planned to spent online, compared with 42% in-store (Deloitte)
- 51% of Americans think shopping online is the best way to shop, with 49% preferring shopping in-store (Big Commerce)
- 51% of Millennials would be likely to make a purchase over social media; 36% of Gen Xers would be likely to make a purchase over social media; 14% of Baby Boomers would be likely to make a purchase over social media and 3% of seniors would be likely to make a purchase over social media (Big Commerce)
- 48% of online shoppers have bought or spent more than planned when shopping online (Big Commerce)
- 40% anticipate using a retailer’s app on their smartphone (Deloitte)
- At 28% (-3% vs. last year), department stores placed a distant third behind the Internet and mass merchants as a shopping destination (Deloitte)
- 23% are influenced by social media recommendations (Big Commerce)
Do these ecommerce facts give you a good idea of people’s buying behaviors this holiday season. Is your business ready to take advantage of the opportunities in ecommerce for next year.